*Honest Blogger Found Here: The Laughing Cow provided me with product and a gift card for this review. However, thoughts and opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the brand. I’m required to disclose a relationship between my site, Porter Novelli, and The Laughing Cow. Disclosure Policy HERE.*
#ReinventSnacking with The Laughing Cow
Are you a snacker…grazer…muncher…is it 3am and your cheese monster is calling? As much as I try to avoid them, there are days when I could simply snack though all the waking hours and be perfectly fine. Cheese and crackers here; a handful of almonds there…a half dozen chocolate chip cookies…err… Anyway, one of my favorite all-time snacks is cream cheese with pepper jelly. Oh Lawd, I can eat the entire brick along with a whole jar of preserves. Even some of my girlfriends will call and ask if I have any on hand because of the CRAVE. That being said, you can imagine my rejoice when The Laughing Cow sent me wedges of spreadable, creamy spicy pepper jack cheese. Instead of the many calories and fat I was consuming in cream cheese, the 35 calorie perfect-sized wedges seemed to be a good option. Not to mention, MORE HEAT. I kinda like hot stuff. Therefore, my new favorite snack: Triple Heat Snacker Cracker (heh heh…I also like things that rhyme.) As a base, I used a pretzel crisp spread with The Laughing Cow Spicy Pepper Jack Cheese then topped it with homemade Apricot Jalapeno preserves (recipe below), finishing with homemade candied jalapenos. If you have a heat lover in your house, they’ll be sure to fall in love with this reinvented snack.
To help you not fall into the “snacking all day” routine, Keri Gans and Keri Glassman (RDN’s and Brand Advocates for The Laughing Cow) have provided a few pieces of snack satisfaction advice:
- Mix and Match: When making the perfect snack, go for a mix of textures and nutrients. Try spreading a wedge of The Laughing Cow cheese atop cucumbers and top with sunflower seeds for added crunch and protein.
- Snack on Perfect Portions: Don’t let snacks become meal-sized. Remember, snacks should hold you over until you are ready for your next meal.
- Be mindful: Don’t just grab a bag of chips and plop down in front of the TV. Take a moment to sit down and enjoy the food you’re putting in your body.
- Make sure that you eat Real Foods: A lot of “snack” foods like chips and pretzels lack nutritional value. Instead of helping us stay satiated between meals, these snacks often do the opposite and leave us feeling hungrier later in the day.
- Look for Simple Solutions: Be sure to keep your fridge and pantry stocked with easy snack items that you can savor any time of day (canning is a great way to always have jars of goods on hand.)
- ½ c. Jalapeno peppers, remove stems & seeds
- 1 Habanero pepper, cut slits into the pepper but leave whole
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, remove stem and seeds
- 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 pkgs (or 3 c.) Dried Apricots, chopped
- 6 c. Cane Sugar
- 3 oz. pkg. Liquid Pectin
- In a blender, chop jalapenos, red bell pepper and vinegar until consistent sized chunks remain.
- In a large kettle, add jalapeno mixture, habanero pepper, apricots, and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes (a boil that you cannot stir down.)
- Remove from heat and skim foam, if any forms. Remove habanero and discard.
- Let cool for several minutes and then stir in pectin.
- Pour into sterilized jelly jars, seal and water bath for 10 minutes.