Over nine years ago, I distinctly remember bringing home a gallon of chocolate milk, excited for my two year old to have his very first chocolate experience. I just knew he was going to love it. We were going to have so much fun together having a special night of movies, donuts and chocolate milk. I wish someone would have pulled my “Mom of the Year” card and stopped me while I was ahead. Sadly, from that point on, said child decided to never drink white milk again. I guess that’s a bit of a stretch. My child does drink white milk but if given a choice, he always prefers the added chocolate. In hindsight, I should not have given him that flavor until after most of his tasting likes and dislikes were already formed. From the start, children should be given a chance to acquire a taste for “real” foods first…before our processed society takes them over.
What did I know? Google was barely getting started at that point.
2% Horizon Organic Chocolate Milk v/s Dean’s Milk Chug Lowfat Chocolate
- Horizon: Organic grade A lowfat milk, organic evaporated cane juice, organic cocoa, organic vanilla flavor, DHA algal oil, carrageenan, salt, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3
- Dean’s: 1% lowfat milk, high fructose corn syrup, cocoa processed with alkali, nonfat milk, cocoa, food starch, salt, carrageenan, vanillan (an artificial flavor), vitamin a palmitate, vitamin D3
- Horizon: Serving size: 1 cup, Calories: 160, Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Sodium: 140 mg, Potassium: 410 mg, Carbs: 26 g, Sugar: 26 g, Protein: 8 g, Vitamin A: 10%, Calcium: 30%, Vitamin D: 25%, Magnesium: 8%, Riboflavin: 20%, Vitamin C: 0%, Iron 2%, Phosphorus: 25%, Vitamin B12: 15%
- Dean’s: Serving size: 1 cup, Calories: 160, Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Sodium: 170 mg, Potassium: 390 mg, Carbs: 27 g, Sugar: 26 g, Protein: 8 g, Vitamin A: 10%, Calcium: 30%, Vitamin D: 25%, Vitamin C: 4%, Iron: 0%
Cost (depends on the size of milk that is bought)
- Horizon: (bought as 1/2 gallon) $.57 per 1 cup serving
- Dean’s: (bought as a pint) $.75 per 1 cup serving
- Horizon: Has a very light, creamy, chocolate flavor. Very pale “chocolate” in color. Natural tasting, not overly chocolaty.
- Dean’s: sweet, but not overly sweet. thick and rich; totally “chuggable” – which blows the 1 cup serving stats away. Double the amounts. Honestly, if given a whole pint of chocolate milk, does anyone only drink half?
Take your pick.
What’s YOUR choice?